Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Day three and four!

Tuesday morning we caught a train to take us from Rome to Naples, Italy.  The train took only about an hour to arrive in Naples and from Naples we were driven through mountains on tiny roads to arrive at Positano!  It was a little scary driving up the hilly roads right next to the edge, but the views were amazing.  Positano is breathtakingly beautiful..yeah, yeah I know I've said every place we've gone so far is beautiful, but I take it all back just to say Positano is AMAZING.  I've already been plotting ways for me to go back.  But, the only idea I've come up with so far is a honeymoon or if that never happens I've decided I'll learn to drive a boat and have that be my job while I live there.  If anyone wants to join me just let me know!

Once we arrived we got situated in our hotel and looked around awhile.  Not only does Positano have a great view from down below, but they also have the cutest town situated in the middle of all the buildings in the mountains.  All the shops, restaurants, and hotels are along the side of a one way road  that you have to be careful crossing because Italians are driving (refer back to day 1 blog to read about their crazy driving habits).  There's fresh fruit being sold alongside the road and pretty flowers are on the buildings.  No words or pictures can portray what you see in person.  So, after walking around up by the road and our hotel, we walked down to the area with the beach at the very bottom.  Little did we know though that this trek to the bottom was 350 stairs long that we would later have to climb back up.  Also, it's normal for some buildings in Italy to not have air conditioning, like our hotel, so it was very hard to cool off and sleep!  The beach down below was unique though because instead of sand, there were rocks.  Not super sharp rocks because we were able to walk on them, but after awhile it would hurt your feet.  The water was super clear and also had the same type of rocks at the bottom.

After exploring and taking a million pictures of the houses and gorgeous view, we sat down for lunch at a restaurant right by the beach.  I had gnocchi for the first time and it was delicious!  And no, it's not the same type of gnocchi that is in your soup at Olive Garden.  Every meal we've had here is a much more smaller portion size, but it's perfect.  I haven't left a meal feeling uncomfortably full yet and all the meals are prepared using fresh ingredients.  It's awesome!

Lunch and 350 steps later, we were back in our hotel relaxing and reading in preparation for our 2 hour boat cruise later that night!  We ended up going down a little early to swim at the beach and then we were off on a boat filled with just us 3 and the captain!  The captain took us along the Mediterranean Sea coast line and all the way to the city of Amalfi and back.  It was gorgeous and the weather was perfect.  We passed a house that is $20,000 a week to rent, but supposedly it's their most popular house!  The captain also pointed out where a lot of famous people stay which was neat.  Overall, the boat cruise was a lot of fun!

The next morning we slept in for the first time this trip and walked out to the restaurant right outside our hotel for breakfast.  Our table overlooked the Mediterranean Sea and the food was so good.  We were then picked up to head back to the train in Naples and rode the train back to Rome. Uncle Brad, my mom, and I stopped at the hotel real quick then left for the Borghese Museum.  It was just sculptures and paintings but there were some dresses being set up for what looked like a fashion show.  Needless to say, my mom and I were more interested in the dresses than the sculptures.  But it was still cool and we went to dinner at the same place we went to the last night we were in Rome because it was so good.  Tomorrow we leave for Venice and I'm so excited!
Prepare yourself because here comes 29 pictures of Positano...oops

View from our hotel to the right
View from our hotel to the left
Trying to unlock our door with an old fashioned key
View featuring the start of the dreadful stairs on the left and where the people sitting are is where we ate breakfast
There were cats!!! They were just laying around at the bottom of the stairs 
More cats :)
Some stores down by the beach 
Walking towards the beach
View with my back to the beach, there's a church on the left
My favorite picture and view from Positano
My feet in the water (Mediterranean Sea)..super clear!
Panoramic
Cute little building somewhere along our trek up the stairs
The coast 
Mom and I
Same person, different view
Sun was starting to set on our boat cruise
View from our boat

Mom and I on the boat

Continued...

View from boat 
Uncle Brad and I 
Eating breakfast right by the road
Road and all the restaurants/shops..our hotel is on the left
One of the many scooter people as we ate
Walking down the road there's a truck with fresh fruit in the back 
One of the stairways down to the beach
Cute building, a lot of them had those pink flowers on them
View
Cute hotel

I apologize for the excessive amount of pictures but Positano deserved it! :)

4 comments:

  1. I am starting to wake up in the morning and think .... Need to get on Facebook and see what Kim and Tyler have been doing on their trip ๐Ÿ˜‚. Love! Especially you two on the boat ride ❤️๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the coolest place yet, Ty! I love all your pictures (especially the ones featuring cats, lol), and I love living vicariously through you on this trip! Keep the awesome posts coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been my favorite, thanks!!!

      Delete